Genetics provides the instruction manual. Nutrition provides the raw materials. Wellness is everything working together. Gene Gazer wants you happy and healthy. We want to help you push the boundaries to your full potential.
Reading your own instructions.
Vitamin B9, or folate, is an essential nutrient. MTHFR makes the active form of folate from the inactive form which is common in foods. Genetic changes in MTHFR can lower the rate at which your body can use and process folate. Changes in this gene are well-researched risk factors in a number of common mental health conditions, like depression and anxiety.
MTHFR and Mental Health
• Folate is required to produce the neurotransmitters Serotonin and Dopamine
• Folate is abundant in leafy greens, mushrooms and beer
• Folate supplementation has been mandated for grain products in the US
Vitamin B12, or cobalamin, is vital to detoxifying the byproduct homocystine which is produced by the body while making methionine. The vitamins B9 and B12 work together to keep your mind and body healthy. MTR and the related MTRR require B12 to keep detoxifying homocystine. Excess homocystine has been linked to many medical issues, like vascular disease, cancer and dementia.
MTR & MTRR
• B12 is the largest and most complex B vitamin
• B12 is used by your body to make DNA and proteins
Betaine, or Trimethylglycine is a protein which is used by the body as a source of methyl groups. It also plays a role in detoxifying homocystine as an alternative to MTR.
• Betaine was originally discovered in sugar beets